Outlook Express is a different application as compared from the Microsoft Office Outlook e-mail client which comes with Microsoft Office for Windows. Outlook Express is bundled with Internet Explorer and uses *.dbx files for storing emails.
Outlook Express stores its e-mail messages in different formats depending on the version.
- Outlook Express v 4, which shipped with Windows 98, stored messages in *.mbx files.
- Outlook Express v 5, which shipped with Windows 98SE, switched to *.dbx files, with a separate file for each mailbox folder.
- Outlook Express v 5.50 shipped with Windows 2000
- Outlook Express v 5.5 shipped with Windows Me
- Outlook Express v 6, which is included with Windows XP, also stores messages in *.dbx files.
However these archive files can become corrupted causing sever data loss, these days when emails have become most prominent form of communication, considering that if email data is not present may cause severe financial, time losses to an individual or a corporate.
Several Causes for Corruption of DBX Files
- Files corruption due to “Compact File or Compact All Folders” option usage.
- Most Common Cause: Antivirus trying to scan incoming & outgoing emails sometime causes data corruption to *.dbx files.
- Huge number of outlook express emails in Inbox or Sent Folders sometime causes data corruption to the respective .dbx files.
- Accidental deletion of email or permanent deletion of emails from deleted items folders in outlook express.
Disk Doctor’s Email Recovery (DBX) software has been unleashed by Disk Doctors Labs, Inc. to recover accidentally deleted Outlook Express e-mail messages from any dbx or a mbx archive.
This software also recovers emails from dbt files,
dbt files are the temporary file created for dbx files. If for due to any reason Microsoft Outlook Express crashes and you cannot find a required dbx file or recover an important email from the dbx file, then dbt files holds the relevant information which can be repaired to recover lost outlook express emails using Disk Doctors Email Recovery (DBX) Software